Friday 11th August: At last!

Safina and I arrived at Entebbe 6hours late, and were greeted by the Kkaya siblings (Esau, Grace and Alan) whose roles are unclear at present but who welcomed us warmly.



It has been 9years since I visited Uganda and so can see some changes: the roads are much improved (though traffic lights remain rare). There is an emergent middle class; people jog (bizarre on a country where some kids walk 20km to school), there are gyms, there are campsites. The roadside industry reflects this affluence (security gates and ginormous bedframes and municipal sized playground equipment).

I had forgotten about Ugandans' love of football and the super positive business names. I have already seen a Hilton hotel, a Hollywood cinema and a Piccaso (sic) decorating shop.

We went onto a salon in central Kampala in the afternoon. A great reintroduction to the hustle and bustle of the city. The bodaboda drivers are even more daring than I remember!


delicious breakfast from Safina's cousin Jasmine. Rice, chapati, avocado, mango, tea and fresh juice




Esau, our driver

Grace outside the salon

Public transport in Kampala. The white vans are buses (confusingly called taxis). in the foreground you can see a bodaboda (motorbike taxi) stand

Comments