Monday 14th August: Kissing Babies and Making Maize






Ugandan alternative to chewing gum: roasted coffee beans wrapped in banana leaves









On the first day of school proper, we had 25 children aged 2-13, for 3 2-hour sessions. We sang, we danced, we played some ball games. History and geography got very confusing (I NEED A MAP). The chalkboard fabric went down a treat! 

I learnt that the tune to Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes is not universal!!

We visited some villagers and were able to secure maize from the wealthiest amongst them for breakfast for the children who attend the project next week. I was warned about my western habits of blowing noses with toilet paper, which is highly sought after here. I have never considered this but at 3500 Ugandan shillings it is not cheap. 

Standard spread for uninvited visitors: finger bananas, pineapple and soda

Mr Kaya and Safina showed me around Namabaale before nightfall. The area has been inhabited for less than twenty years, since the Ugandan government offered the land to displaced citizens. When the Noah's Ark project began it was definitely a village, or group of villages. Growth in population and incremental improvements in infrastructure mean that locals consider it a town, because 'in towns you can see your neighbours but in villages you have to travel far to do so'. Makes sense. Namabaale has a few fee-paying schools, poorly tended roads and no healthcare facilities. There are places of worship for almost all denominations,and lots of bodabodas (motorbike taxis). 

Namabaale's main strip
Safina with Namabaale's youngest resident, a 2 week old baby girl !


We had fresh goat liver for lunch and tripe for dinner, expertly cooked by Grace and Mrs Kaya. A relatively early night when I introduced the Kaya family to the Rubik's cube.
Annette Marian on the Rubik's cube


Comments